Senior Scientist - Coordinator Research Projects
Sc. D. Habilitation, 1990
Ph.D. in Chemistry, 1977
Elettra-Sincrotrone Trieste, Area Science Park,
Tel. +39-040-3758549 or +39-335-1272661
- Research positions in Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia 1977-1989.
- Senior Scientist, Sincrotrone-Trieste, Italy 1990-1999.
- Head of Microscopy Section, Sincrotrone Trieste, 1999 - 2008.
- Coordinator soft x-ray imaging and microscopy programs, 2008 - 2010.
- Coordinator research projects, 2011 -
Visiting positions, Grants and Honours
- 1980 - National Bureau of Standards, Gaithersburg MD, USA
- 1982/83 - Alexander von Humboldt Scholarship in IGF-KFA Julich (FRG)
- 1987/88 - University of Pittsburgh, Surface Science Center – 18 months
- 2002 – Italian citizenship for scientific merits.
- 2004- 2005 Distinguished Research Grant of AvH Foundation (Germany).
- Undergraduate 5th year students, University of Trieste. Subject: X-ray Microscopy and its applications - since 2001.
- Post-doctoral course, Polytechnic University - Nova Gorica (Slovenia).
- Post-doctoral course in Nanotechnology, University of Trieste.
Lecturer at International schools
- ICTP School on Synchrotron Radiation and Applications April-May 2004-2016.
- Spring College on Science at Nanoscale, ICTP May-June 2004.
- Summer School on Condensed Matter Research - Spectroscopy and Microscopy August 14.-21, 2005, Zuoz, Switzerland.
- International Summer School Nicolás Cabrera19-23, September 2005, Miraflores, Spain
- Hercules Specialized Courses on X-ray imaging, Grenoble 21-26 May 2006, France.
- 1st International Summer school of MAINZ – MATCOR, Mainz 25-29 September, 2006.
- 1st Croatian Synchrotron Radiation School, 3-8 September, 2007, Rijeka, Croatia.
- 9th International School and Symposium on Synchrotron Radiation in Natural Science, 15-18 June 2008, Ameliówka (Poland).
- ICTP International School: Materials Science Related to Renewable Energy Applications, 26-30 November, 2012.
- International School and Symposium on Synchrotron Radiation in Natural Science 2014, 15-20 June Warsaw.
Research activities and experience
- Surface reactions and mass transport phenomena;
- Modification of the surface structure and composition of solid materials induced by additives, corrosion and irradiation;
- Structural, electronic and magnetic properties of ultra-thin films and interfaces;
- Properties and stability micro- and nano-structured materials used in electronics, organic light emission devices, fuel and solar cells.
- Reactivity and toxicity of nano-objects;
- Development and application of spectro-microscopic and imaging methods using x-ray synchrotron and free electron laser facilities for characterization of complex nano-materials, individual nano-objects and soft matter and transient states of matter.
Publications and invited talks
Over 295 articles in reviewed journals, 14 invited reviews and articles, one book, one book chapter and 2 U.S. Patents, over 100 invited talks and plenary lectures at International Congresses, Conferences, Symposiums, Workshops, Universities and Research Centers. H-index - 42.
1. Member of Scientific Advisory Committees of ALS (Berkeley, USA) 2008-2014, SOLEIL (Paris, France), DESY (Hamburg, Germany), XFEL (Hamburg), SESAME (Amman, Jordan).
2. Member of Proposal Review Panels at ALS (USA), DESY-FLASH (Germany), MaxLab (Sweden), BESSY (Germany) LCLS (USA-till 2016) and ALBA (Spain - till 2014). .
3. Member of Scientific Advisory Board of Courant Research Centre in Göttingen University (Germany) and Beamline Advisory Team at NSLS-II (USA).
4. Scientific Reviewer of APS Upgrade Programme held in March 2011.
5. Italian Representative of VAMAS (Versailles Project on Advanced Materials and Standards).
6. Reviewer of research projects and fellowships for National Science Foundation (USA), European Community, International Center for Frontier Research in Chemistry (Strasbourg), French National Agency for Research, Italian Ministry of Education and Research, Russian Ministry of Education and Science.
7. Co-editor of a Series on Synchrotron Techniques and Applications (World Scientific Publishing Co).
8. Member of the international advisory board of Journal of Surface Science and NanoTechnology (e-JSSNT) and of Journal of Physics.
9. Co-Director of the ICTP School on Synchrotron and FEL Based Methods
and their Multi-Disciplinary Applications 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016 Trieste (Italy).
10. Co-Chair of NATO Advanced Research Workshop on Chemical, Structural and Electronic Analysis of Heterogeneous Surfaces, April 1995, Trieste (Italy).
11. Co-Chair of the international program committees of International Conferences VUV’13, July 2001, Trieste (Italy).
12. Governor of ESF Exploratory Workshop on IR Microscopy and spectroscopy with Advanced Light Sources, October 2004, Trieste (Italy).
13. Chair of Symposium I: New opportunities and challenges in material research using synchrotron and free electron laser sources E-MRS September 2007, Warsaw (Poland).
14. Co-Chair of Sixth International Workshop LEEM-PEEM, September 2008, Trieste (Italy).
15. Champion at AVS’61 Conference In Baltimore, November 2014 for Focus Topic Session “Novel Trends in Synchrotron and FEL-Based Analysis (SA) and Co-Shampion at AVS’63 Conference in Nashville 2016.
16. Member of the international program, steering and award committees:
- ICSOS International Steering Committee.
- VUVX International Scientific Committee.
- X-ray Microscopy Conference, 2002, Grenoble (France); 2005 Osaka (Japan); Zurich (Switzerland); 2010 Chicago (USA); 2012 Shanghai (China), 2014 Melbourne
- SRI - 2003, S. Francisco (USA); 2006, Korea (also Chair of session “Micro/Nanoscopy”.
- Symposium "Microspectroscopy of Quantum, Magnetic and Biological Nanostructures",October, 2003, INTEX Osaka (Japan)
- 5th International Symposium on Atomic Level Characterization of New Materials, and Devises, 2005, Hawaii (2005).
- X-ray Biophotonics, 2007, Melbourne (Australia).
- The 31th International Symposium on the Dynamic Properties of Solids –“DyProSo XXXI”, September 2007, Portugal.
- 12nd International Conference on Vibrations at Surfaces (VAS-12) 2007, Erice (Italy).
- 26th European Conference on Surface Science, 2009, Parma (Italy).
- International Conference on Electronic Spectroscopy and Structure, 2009, Nara (Japan).
- International Super High Resolution Imaging Conference, SHRI-2009, Lipica (Slovenia)
- International Workshop on Beam Injection Assessment of Microsctructures in Semiconductors, BIAMS, 2010, Halle (Germany).
- International Conference on Atomically Controlled Surfaces, Interfaces and
Nanostructures (ACSIN), 2011 Sankt Petersburg (Russia); 2013 Tsukuba (Japan).
- 11th and 12th International Conferences on Electronic Spectroscopy and Structure (ICESS-12) 2012, Paris (France).
- 16th International Conference on Solid Films and Surfaces, 2012, Genoa (Italy).